[Sca-cooks] Pork leg shank?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 16 20:26:25 PST 2006

This is the stuff of huge barbeques.  Low and slow for hours and hours will
give you lots of collagen melting, and really rich tasting meat.  Or, the
temp you suggest could be just fine for oven roasting.  I'd consider
researching if 300F would be safe . . . low and slow.

At 170F internal temperature, though, it will be close to show leather.  Get
some pork cooking temps . . . what you are saying will do for turkey, but
probably way overkill for a fresh ham.  Remember that this huge "heat sink"
will continue to cook for a while after you remove from heat.  Take off a
bit before final target temperature to prevent overcooking.  Much more of a
challenge in larger hunks/cuts.

Seasoning . . .I am partial to more traditional Mediterranean spicing with
salt, black pepper, oregano and garlic.  Consider brining this piece of
beast before you roast it.  Give you some deeper seasoning, and more cushion
for moist end product.

niccolo difrancesco