[Sca-cooks] medieval dog recipes

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jan 17 13:30:14 PST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:41 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Doc replied to me with:
> >>>
> Cat, ermine, and hedgehog I can document, but not dog.
> <<<
>
> I assume the cat is the Spanish recipe we've talked about here
> innumerable times. What is the documentation for the other two?
> Maybe we have discussed the hedgehog before. Is that the recipe
> where you cook it with a coating of mud and when it is done you
> peel off the mud and the spines come off with it?

Yes, the cat recipe is from "Libre del Coch".  The others are below:

Ermine. Hit schal beon ymad qwit & wel ysauoured of god poudre of
gynger & quibibes & cloues, & [th]is mete schal beon perti wi[th]
vert desire.  [Curye on Inglysch, C. Hieatt, S. Butler (eds.)]

Hedgehog should have its throat cut, be singed and gutted, then
trussed like a pullet, then pressed in a towel until very dry; and
then roast it and eat with cameline sauce, or in pastry with wild
duck sauce. Note that if the hedgehog refuses to unroll, put it in
hot water, and then it will straighten itself. [Le Menagier de Paris,
J. Hinson (trans.)]

The meat of a hedgehog is good for lepers. Those who dry its
intestines and grind them to a powder and eat a little of that are
made to piss, even if they can not do so otherwise.  [Das Kochbuch
des Meisters Eberhard, G. Balestriere (trans.)]

- Doc

--
"English wine is more fit to be sieved rather than drunk."