[Sca-cooks] Penguins and potatoes was medieval dog recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 17 15:29:15 PST 2006

The island was actually in the Straits of Magellan.  To quote Drake (or more
probably his nephew, IIRC), "The 24 of August (1578) we arrived at an island
in the straits (probably Isla Isabel), where we found a great store of fowl
which could not fly, of the bigness of geese, whereof we killed in less than
one day 3,000 and victualled ourselfs thoroughly therewith."  (The famous
voyage of Sir Francis Drake into the South Sea, and there hence about the
globe of the earth, begun in the year`of our Lord, 1577., as taken from
Haklyut)

I gather from Morison, the accounts of Rev. Francis Fletcher and the
Potuguese pilot, Nuno da Silva, provide more detailed information.  Fletcher
refers to the birds, "...which the Welch men call Pengwin."  (Welsh, "pen
gwyn" or white head).  BTW, the primary rookeries are actually on a couple
of rocks near Isla Isabel, Santa Marta and Santa Magdalena.

A little later in Drake's account is a passage I find of interest.  The
encounter is on the 29th of Novmber 1578 on an island off the coast of
Chile.  "The people came down to the waterside with show of great courtesy,
bringing to us potatoes, roots, and two very fat sheep..."

The potato Drake was familiar with was the sweet potato, often referred to
as the common or Spanish potato.  Given the location, the roots are very
likely to have been white potatoes as Chilean potatoes are the root stock
for most of the potatoes we use today.  As pure speculation, the encounter
may have set the stage for the delivery of "potatoes of Virginia" to John
Gerard in 1586.  The logic is Drake knew the value of white potatoes as food
and moved stocks of them to his ships when he resupplied after the siege of
Cartagena.  One the return to England, Drake's fleet rescued the members of
the colony at Roanoke, Virginia, and that potatoes were delivered to Gerard
and he mistakenly attributed them to Virginia rather than Peru.  It's one of
those fun debates that will probably never be settled.

Bear