[Sca-cooks] Re: medieval dog recipes

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Tue Jan 17 18:02:54 PST 2006

I'm not going to argue about whether or not our medieval forbears ate dog.
People ate a lot of things, and dog is still eaten in parts of the world.
One of my Chinese colleagues was trying to shock me one day by telling me
how good dog tasted. He seemed quite surprised when I responded by saying
that dogs, as carnivores, probably didn't taste as good as herbivores, but
people will eat what is available, and if you're hungry enough, anything
will taste good.

What I will say is that last year, I cooked an Anglo-Saxon feast and had to
do some pretty varied research. There just isn't a lot of documentation for
a pre-Norman Anglo-Saxon feast, so I dug a bit. I was using Hagen's "Food
and Drink in Anglo-Saxon England" books 1 and 2. She looked at a lot of
research on rubbish. Based on the finds of Greenland trash heaps, she states
that few dog bones showed signs of butchering compared to those of sheep and
pigs. Which bears out the Scandinavian tradition of dogs being more useful
as working or companion animals than as a food source. She relates that the
dog bones that did show signs of butchering came from the later years of the
settlement, when climate changes and disease had done their damage to the
food supply.

So people may have eaten dog in period. But I'm betting that they didn't
until they ran out of other meat.

Also keep in mind that for most of our period of interest, recipes were
written by and for the rich. Even if the poor were eating anything that
didn't eat them first, the rich would probably have more palatable things to
eat.

Berelinde