[Sca-cooks] Re: brining in Rubbermaid

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Tue Jan 17 21:06:23 PST 2006

Thank you to everyone who wrote suggestions. The 26.5 pound pork shank will
not fit in anything like a bucket but it fits just fine in our 5-day cooler
that we used at Pennsic (sorry, Cariadoc) and the chunk o'meat is happily
brining away in a mixture of Kosher salt and water. I admit, I felt a little
odd to be using Kosher salt to treat pork but that's what was available at
the store.

And I gotta tell you, adding enough salty water to completely submerse a
piece of meat that heavy makes for a *really* heavy container. I'm grateful
that it's got wheels and a handle to drag it by.
And that the commissary had some left over 'reinforced' turkey pans to
appropriate for roasting the monster.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. Is anyone interested in the
outcome or should we assume that it will cook up fine, be eaten, and move
along to things more exotic?

Hrothny