[Sca-cooks] Re: pork internal temp

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 18 05:15:21 PST 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 7:10 AM, RUTH EARLAND wrote:

> When I'm cooking for family and friends, whose tastes I know, I
> tend to cook differently than I would for a feast. I serve quite
> rare beef and lamb, pork with a bit of pink, and medium-rare duck.
> But I wouldn't do that for a feast.
>
> If your experiences recommend a different starting temp, by all
> means, go with it.
>
> Berelinde

I can certainly understand that you don't want to frighten people,
and people can and do get frightened even after you've made sure
everything is absolutely safe and there's nothing to be frightened of.

I'm probably pretty lucky, living where I do, in that our locals have
fairly eclectic tastes and aren't easily spooked by unusual foods or
presentations, and even when they might otherwise be, they tend to
place a fair amount of trust in our cooks, when it's someone they know.

I remember serving medium pork a few times (the meat was ivory white,
and if you squeezed it you got juice that was just slightly tinged
with pink; to my mind it was absolutely perfect), and made sort of a
game of it. There's a fun section in Le Menagier (I think) wherein he
says that if your guests are French, you have to cook your fish until
it's just properly done, whereas if they're German, you pretty much
have to cook it to death, or they'll just send it back to the kitchen
to be recooked.

I turned on the pancake griddle and waited five or ten minutes while
a herald announced that the cooks had roasted the meats to a perfect
state of "doneness" for French diners (it was an Agincourt-themed
event), but also understood that there might be some Germans out
there in the hall, and would be glad to overcook any portions of meat
any German should care to send back the kitchen for incineration...

I got one taker, and that was a friend who was at least as interested
in busting my chops as he was in well-done meat.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04