[Sca-cooks] Re: Pork shank

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 22:26:56 PST 2006

Hrothny commented:
> Then again, we were planning on setting up a surveyor's board for the
> wenches to load the plates. Wouldn't that just look incredible,
> having that
> big piece of meat sitting there on a carving block and getting
> sliced as
> needed while the lunch rush ensues.

I think this would be wonderful! I think it is also easier to get by
serving the food as a buffet line than for a high feast. If you have
some good, experienced carvers another advantage is that the feasters
could specify the rareness/doneness of the pork slices they want.
That is rather difficult when serving a large feast by table. The one
thing I wonder about is how to keep the meat warm. I seem to remember
the few restaurants I've been to with carving tables kept their
roasts/BBQ under heat lamps. Not very medieval looking.

What is a "surveyor's board"? A wide table? A sheet of plywood on
sawhorses?

> But I'm going to mention to the donator (he works for Smithfield
> foods) what
> a lovely image you evoked and see if he can keep an eye out for
> another
> lucky find. Since he's sure to be sitting at High Table and he's a
> sucker for theatre, I know it will stay on his mind.

Well, just in case he outdoes himself again:
whole-pig-msg     (66K)  4/18/05    Info. on roasting a whole pig.
Experiences.
Cooking-Piggy-art  (5K)  9/27/01    A humorous adventure cooking a pig.
Whole-Pig-Fst-art (36K)  9/22/98    Feast menu and recipes incl. a
roasted pig.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas