[Sca-cooks] Re: Pork shank

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 19 12:57:22 PST 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I think this would be wonderful! I think it is also easier to get by
> serving the food as a buffet line than for a high feast. If you have
> some good, experienced carvers another advantage is that the feasters
> could specify the rareness/doneness of the pork slices they want.
> That is rather difficult when serving a large feast by table. The one
> thing I wonder about is how to keep the meat warm. I seem to remember
> the few restaurants I've been to with carving tables kept their
> roasts/BBQ under heat lamps. Not very medieval looking.

Ugh.  Those heat lamps don't really keep the meat very warm but _do_ dry
it out.
Two observations.  One, a large joint of meat will hold its heat for
quite a while.  As long as it's all being carved in one go, don't worry
about it.  Two, in my experience, most people would rather have perfect,
juicy meat served below ideal temperature than perfectly hot meat that's
all dried up.

I personally prefer messes-- if the meat is of varying degrees of
doneness, the carvers can usually manage assorted platters.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Book now for Canterbury Faire
http://sg.sca.org.nz/cf.htm