[Sca-cooks] Re: Pork shank

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Thu Jan 19 14:18:02 PST 2006

What is a "surveyor's board"? A wide table? A sheet of plywood on sawhorses?

According to my "medieval word book", it was the phrase used to describe the
table set to the side where final preparations for the serving were made -
the person in charge of all the dining arrangements, settings, serving staff
and all was the 'surveyor' and the side-table, the 'board' was where the
final preps were done before presenting the food.

Since the event I'm catering is run as a 'tavern' with the wenches bringing
food to each diner whenever that diner is hungry (and produces their
coin/token), the surveyor's table is a necessary thing - hot foods will be
kept on a steam table in the kitchen but crocks of soup, plates of cheeses,
butter, breads, olives, eggs and apples (I could only get Pink Lady's, darn
it - close enough) will be staged there.

Thank you for the references for pork prep - I talked with the wife of the
Smithfield (did I mention he works for Smithfield Ham?) employee and she's
sure he can get us another Pork Shank for a _real_ feast in the future.

Hrothny