[Sca-cooks] Re: cold cereal and milk

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jan 22 12:30:46 PST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 1:18 PM, RUTH EARLAND wrote:

> OK. At first, I thought this thread might be a bit out there. But
> on reflection, I can definitely see how this is definitely on
> topic, if not necessarily period.
>
> Using one of those leaps of logic we all so detest, I hypothesize
> that putting milk on cold cereal was a natural evolutionary
> progression from putting milk on porrige.
>
> Berelinde,
> slightly flip speculatory historian

There's probably some connection (and probably the same connection to
the fact that, once upon a time, there were people who would put
cream on dry/cold cereal). I also recall that a lot of the older
commercial cold cereals (things like Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Grape
Nuts, etc.) were invented as part of a 19th-century health-food
revolution, and were originally promoted as spa/sanitorium foods for
those with weak digestions. Check out the writings of Dr. John Harvey
Kellogg, or even see the only slightly exaggerated film version, "The
Road To Wellville".

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't also a connection with
the various pap dishes that were used for those with bad digestion,
the elderly, and children, such as bread-and-milk, toast  crumbled
into milk (a.k.a. milktoast), biscuits or cornbread treated in the
same way (possibly with buttermilk).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782