[Sca-cooks] OT: Weather in Oertha

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 13:56:12 PST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:25 PM, ysabeau wrote:

> I remember camping near Valdez around '77. We actually packed up
> and left in the in middle the night because of the mosquitos. Big,
> Huge, Gigantic mosquitos...everywhere, all over, no place to hide!

I'm sure that was horrible. But living, as I do, in an area that's
not especially mosquito-intensive, all I can immediately think of is
the scene in "The In-Laws" (the real one, not the heretical recent
semi-remake). Peter Falk's character speaks of his time in Guatemala,
which, he says, has giant tse-tse flies, which raid villages and fly
off into the sunset with small, brown babies clutched in their beaks.
He then explains that nothing can be done about this because the tse-
tse flies are protected by the Guacamole Act of 1917, and generally
decries the enormous amount of red tape in the jungles of Central
America...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782