[Sca-cooks] OT: Weather in Oertha

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Wed Jan 25 02:49:00 PST 2006

Bear said:
>If you like hiking, hunting, fishing, all those outdoorsy thangs,
>it's a great place to be.

Even if you don't. I do none of the above (although I'd like to
starting fishing again some day). My Dad and I fished in one spot or
another all up the Alcan back in 1963. I have fish stories....

I do appreciate the winter wonderland look we get with hoarfrost
inches thick over everything still in the deadest of winter, and the
hours-long sunset-sunrise in midsummer. I was embroidering at
midnight in July by available light several summers ago. Not every
Alaskan hunts, etc. But we pretty much all appreciate the land
(except for certain politicians who seem determined to pave us).

>If you have a salable skill that is needed there, go.  I don't
>recommend being out of work and out of luck in Alaska.

That is true. It is not a cheap place to live.

>I spent a total of about seven years there over two occasions.  The
>first during the Territory/Statehood period and the second in the
>early '70s.  I loved it, although like an old Alaska hand I met
>years ago in Nevada, the weather would probably lock up my joints
>and I'd need to drive south until they started working again.

My joints have their own problems, unrelated to cold. But my hands
and ears no longer tolerate the cold much, thanks to years of
under-protecting them. I lecture the youngsters about not putting
their gloves on when loading up cars, etc., knowing it all adds up.
We get extremes: colder in the winter and hotter in the summer that
the rest of the state. The cold doesn't cut you much slack.

Morgana, who should be heading for bed