[Sca-cooks] OT: Weather in Oertha

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Jan 25 06:36:49 PST 2006

I lived there for two winters (school years)...once in elementary
and once in high school. I actually got my driver's license in
Alaska, but I still don't drive on ice days down here. The thing
Alaska taught me was to respect the weather.

I don't mow my grass in winter...it just doesn't grow. But then, I
don't water it either. It goes dormant from about October until
April.

Just listening to the stories about Alaska is making me nostalgic.
I wonder if that bar is still there on Turnagain Arm where you
could sit and watch the tide roll in. It was a spectacular site on
particularly big tides. I also remember watching the start of the
Iditarod one year.

Fairbanks seems like it would be like living in Lubbock. My main
memory of Fairbanks was actually wearing shorts in the summer (we
were visiting) because the temp was about 95 degrees. It is wide
open plains with extremes in temperatures. I also remember it
being very dusty. But then, these are memories of a 10 year old
who is now 40.

I also discovered, my junior year in high school, that it is
necessary to make sure your hair is dry before going to catch the
bus. I ran my fingers through my hair...and the ends broke off
because they froze. Talk about culture shock...I'd just moved
there from Singapore...the equator to sub arctic in less than
month!

As for Montana as an alternative, I have my eye on a company in
Kalispell. Unfortunately, they aren't hiring tech writers right
now.

Ysabeau