[Sca-cooks] OT: Weather in Oertha

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Wed Jan 25 23:13:40 PST 2006

Ysabeau said:
>I lived there [Alaska] for two winters (school years)...once in elementary
>and once in high school. I actually got my driver's license in
>Alaska, but I still don't drive on ice days down here. The thing
>Alaska taught me was to respect the weather.
>
>Fairbanks seems like it would be like living in Lubbock. My main
>memory of Fairbanks was actually wearing shorts in the summer (we
>were visiting) because the temp was about 95 degrees. It is wide
>open plains with extremes in temperatures. I also remember it
>being very dusty. But then, these are memories of a 10 year old
>who is now 40.

Too true. Of course, on a clear day you can see Denali to the south
(that's Mt. McKinley to the rest of you). And horizon to horizon
aurora borealis. I don't know whether I prefer -45F (tonight's
expected low) or +95. I hate heat, my body hates it. I'm like a
lizard, panting in the shade. We're a little less dusty: more paved
roads.

>I also discovered, my junior year in high school, that it is
>necessary to make sure your hair is dry before going to catch the
>bus. I ran my fingers through my hair...and the ends broke off
>because they froze. Talk about culture shock...I'd just moved
>there from Singapore...the equator to sub arctic in less than
>month!

My first winter in Fairbanks was at college 1964-1965, which still
has some of the record lows I believe. I'd have gym, followed by a
5-10 minute walk back to the dorms. After showering we'd put our hair
in rollers (the early 60s, remember) and then have to wait until it
thawed before taking them out. Or the hair would break. We had
several weeks in January IIRC when it never got above -35F, sort of
like the inversion we're having now. And you can't run in that kind
of weather: bad to pull the air into the lungs so hard.

Morgana, still freezing, with no end in sight through the weekend at least..