[Sca-cooks] Prehistoric Cheese

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 25 13:05:54 PST 2006

On 2006.01.25 08:56, Michael Gunter wrote:
>> http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060123/dairy_arc.html?dcitc=w01-101-a
>> e-0000
>
> I may have read this wrong but one thing that annoyed
> me in the article was that maybe they were taught how
> to make the cheese from the Chinese. Gosh, you mean
> that us poor round-eyes can't invent anything without
> them teaching us first? I don't think the accidental
> discovery of youghurt and cheese is all that difficult.

As an archaeologist, this really annoyed me too.  What's with
constantly attributing everything to diffusion?  As you said, cheese
is a no-brainer.  There are so many ways it could have been
discovered, and I would suggest that it was 'found' almost
immediately after animals began to be milked and the milk retained
for later use, i.e. soon after they were domesticated.

On another note, I've a friend working on stone age and bronze age
Britain.  They've found these residues in pots from Britain from
these time periods as well.

Aelianora de Wintringham
Barony of Dragon's Laire, An Tir