[Sca-cooks] 15th C. Ottoman Recipes

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jul 1 22:34:06 PDT 2006

On 6/30/06, lilinah at earthlink.net <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Now, frankly, i don't expect the publisher to offer me any money, but
> what the heck. However, if i ask for #1, i am concerned that i may no
> longer be eligible for #2.
>
> Does anyone have any experiences with European publishers?
>
> The publisher of this book is Actes Sud, Arles France. It is part of
> their "Sindbad" collection, and in the sub-group of food books called
> "Orient Gourmand".
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

Asked Paul, and he said that a translation is considered an entirely
new work, but it's still a courtesy to ask the publisher of the work
translated. However, he said he also thinks that Perry translated all
of these recipes (he's not absolutely sure), and sees no point in a
translation going from Arabic to French to English, since that tends
to multiply errors.

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"