[Sca-cooks] native Georgia produce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 14 13:25:39 PDT 2006

Ah, yes. Marketing.

As I said, that thought was what first occurred to me when I looked
at the list.  I can understand what was meant, although I still think
the phrasing is stretching it a bit. I think "locally produced" would
be a better and more accurate description. But then "marketing" is
why we no longer have "Rapeseed Oil" and American made "Champagne
wine" and others I can't think of right now.

I'm reading "Consider the Eel" by Richard Schweid and it sounds like
the Carolinas, and probably Georgia are prime eel harvesting areas,
but that most of them are shipped by live air freight to Europe and
maybe Japan. Perhaps eels would be a good item to add to your list.
And they are truly "native".

Richard Schweid also wrote "Catfish and the Delta: Confederate Fish
Farming in the Mississippi Delta", which I also enjoyed and learned a
lot from.

Stefan

-----------

True, but that just doesn't matter for my purposes.  Locally produced is
the main idea.
Christianna

After listening to all the food history threads on this list, my
first thought on this list of food items is that a whole lot of them
didn't originate in Georgia or anywhere else in the New World.
Interesting stuff to start with, though.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com