[Sca-cooks] wild rice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 15 16:51:24 PDT 2006

Bear respoNded to me with:

>> Needs _Wild_ rice!
>
> Except "wild rice" isn't a rice. It's a grass. Another bit of trivia
> picked up from this list. :-)
>
> But then I guess trying to sell "wild grass" has problems from a
> marketing standpoint.
>
> Stefan

Rice is also a grass.  Collectively, the grain producing grasses (wheat,
oats, corn, rice, etc.) are referred to as cereal grasses.  When you
include
plants like buckwheat and amaranth, the collective term is cereals.
-----

Okay. Now I can't find the original comment, although it had altered
my thinking on "wild rice". Perhaps the comment was more on the lines
that "wild rice" wasn't a true rice, but a grain/grass.

It looks like I don't have that much in the Florilegium on "wild
rice". Some of implies that it might be a New World plant rather than/
instead of an Old World plant.

Here is a pair of Florilegium messages I ran across in my search that
I thought some of you might be interested in:

=========