[Sca-cooks] take 2: spanish feast part III: meat/pork dish

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 16 12:24:52 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
<<<MASSIVE SNIP>>>

Then I put it to simmer all day. (The general concensus was that it
definitely smelled Catalan.)

When we came home, it looked good, but the liquid hadn't cooked down all
that much, so I transferred it back to the frying pan and let it simmer
while the millet cooked to reduce it a bit.

The broth was not really thick enough-- next time I would use less
broth. But the meat-- oh oh OH! yummmy! and the broth was quite nice on
the millet. I'll serve this with rice.

--
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, >>>>>>>>>>>>

I susupect that you will continue to get a thin broth if you eliminate the
eggs and do not replace some sort of thickener in there.  If eggs are not
desireable, maybe breadcrumb would meet your need . . . there are some other
dishes in this manuscript using crumb thickeners, IIRC.  The eggs at the end
will make a nice saucey broth if tempered a bit before adding to hot broth,
but the original doesn't spcifically say to do that.  The orange juice mixed
in may start the protein coagulation and reduce lumping in the sauce,
though.

I'm looking forward to trying this with lamb myself soon.

niccolo difrancesco