[Sca-cooks] take 2: spanish feast part III: meat/pork dish

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 16 12:29:55 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
Along with the millet, on Saturday I tested this Casserole of Meat from
de Nola:
    CAZUELA DE CARNE

    You must take meat and cut it into pieces the size of a walnut, and
gently fry it with the fat of good bacon; and when it is well gently
fried, cast in good broth, and cook it in a casserole; and cast in all
fine spices, and saffron, and a little orange juice or verjuice, and
cook it very well until the meat begins to fall apart and only a little
broth remains; .............>>>>

<<<SNIP>>>

The broth was not really thick enough-- next time I would use less
broth. But the meat-- oh oh OH! yummmy! and the broth was quite nice on
the millet. I'll serve this with rice.>>>>>>>

Another thought struck that the directions say to cook meat until it begins
to fall apart.  Does that happ0en with the very lean loin?  I would consider
a more callogenous cut similar to a pot roast . . . chuck or some such.
That will also give you some gelatinization to thicken the sauce a smidgeon.
There is also no instruction per se to cover the cooking pot. An open
simmering pot would still braise, and reduce your braising liquid along the
line.  Not perfect technique, but could be worth the try.

niccolo difrancesco