[Sca-cooks] Items of Possible Interest

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jul 16 20:47:03 PDT 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 9:48 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>> On Jul 16, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>>

>>> Of course, the only blender drink that I like is a margarita. Given
>>> the
>>> choice, I'd much rather have ouzo.
>>>

>> Ouzo, as in, a glass of ouzo? Eee-ew. I mean, if you're going to do
>> that, there's Pernod or Pastis Ricard.
>>

> I say yeeeeccchhh to all of that.  They're like drinking a bag of
> black
> jelly beans dissolved in rubbing alcohol.
>
> --
> Adele de Maisieres

That sounds a little extreme, frankly. I'm not complaining about the
quality of these beverages, and they can be used in small quantities
as after-dinner cordials (well, some people like them), and even
better as a seasoning under the right circumstances (Ricard is
flavored with fennel, and a splash is great in fish dishes). I'm just
not a fan of drinking them straight up, or in any quantity.

But I'm wondering where the rubbing alcohol reference comes in. Is
the alcohol in them any worse than the alcohol in, say, Triple-Sec?
There are probably versions of anise liqueurs comparable to Grand
Marnier in quality.

Adamantius