[Sca-cooks] OOP--Tomatoes for soup-making...

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jul 17 22:12:04 PDT 2006

Hi, everyone! I've been thinking of food lately (which is easier than
cooking it in this heat, and darned near as satisfying), and came up with a
question or two I thought I'd throw out to the list:
What kind of tomatoes are best for canning, with the intended future use of
making homemade tomato soup next winter? I was kvetching to a friend about
the 4 lg. tomato plants that have turned one corner of the house (communal)
garden into a tomato jungle--they are varieties specifically chosen for a
medium size and fairly quick growing season (to suit our weather up here),
and look to be producing fruit that will be ready all at the same time.
*sigh*  My friend, missing the tomato soup her Mom (now dead) used to make
with home-canned tomatoes, suggested (with a hint the size of a broadsword)
that I make her some canned tomatoes as a holiday gift.  I'd love to, but I
think the ones we have are intended more for fresh eating than canning,
which means, oh darn, a trip down to one of our farmer's markets (lucky me,
we have two).  So I'm wondering what I'd be happiest with for canning
tomatoey goodness....
--Maire, Artemisian happily looking forward to the first tomato sandwich
from her own tomato, ever (in about 2 days, judging from
color)...mmm....might have to make some fresh mayo for it.....