[Sca-cooks] Roux in Sabina Welserin's cookbook?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Jul 17 20:47:30 PDT 2006

Am Dienstag, 18. Juli 2006 04:54 schrieb Daniel Myers:
> Howdy,
>
> I was digging through Sabina Welserin's cookbook (Valoise Armstrong's
> translation) looking for other stuff when I came across this recipe.
>
> "5 How to cook a wild boar's head, also how to prepare a sauce for
> it.  A wild boar's head should be boiled well in water and, when it
> is done, laid on a grate and basted with wine, then it will be
> thought to have been cooked in wine. Afterwards make a black or
> yellow sauce with it. First, when you would make a black sauce, you
> should heat up a little fat and brown a small spoonful of wheat flour
> in the fat and after that put good wine into it and good cherry
> syrup, so that it becomes black, and sugar, ginger, pepper, cloves
> and cinnamon, grapes, raisins and finely chopped almonds. And taste
> it, however it seems good to you, make it so. "
>
> So what do you think?  Did Welserin have Varenne beat by about 100
> years?

I'd say it's pretty clear. But in Germany, that kind of sauce is around
earlier than La Varenne anyway (Welserin is early, though, could well be the
earliest). It's usually ascribed to French or Italian influence.

The original text says

...darnach soll man ain schwartz oder ain gelbs brielin dariber
machen, erstlich wan man das schwartz brielin will machen,
soll man ain wenig schmaltz lassenn haisß werden vnnd ain
leffellin voll schens mell jm schmaltz brennen vnnd darnach
ain gúten wein daranthon vnnd ain gúten kersseltz...

YIS

Giano