[Sca-cooks] Roux in Sabina Welserin's cookbook?

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jul 17 19:54:00 PDT 2006

Howdy,

I was digging through Sabina Welserin's cookbook (Valoise Armstrong's
translation) looking for other stuff when I came across this recipe.

"5 How to cook a wild boar's head, also how to prepare a sauce for
it.  A wild boar's head should be boiled well in water and, when it
is done, laid on a grate and basted with wine, then it will be
thought to have been cooked in wine. Afterwards make a black or
yellow sauce with it. First, when you would make a black sauce, you
should heat up a little fat and brown a small spoonful of wheat flour
in the fat and after that put good wine into it and good cherry
syrup, so that it becomes black, and sugar, ginger, pepper, cloves
and cinnamon, grapes, raisins and finely chopped almonds. And taste
it, however it seems good to you, make it so. "

So what do you think?  Did Welserin have Varenne beat by about 100
years?

- Doc

  Scheckon - þe oþer blaunch viaunde