[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks....

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 18 16:46:29 PDT 2006

> 1.  What was the first cookbook you ever owned, all by yourself?

I think it was a Girl Scouts cookbook -- recipes from various members of
girl scout troops in the from Armed Forces families in the Pacific region.
Don't remember ever cooking from it, though...Or, it might have been one of
those various souvenier cookbooks that all the tourist traps sell (my folks
were big on National Park vacations when I was little)

Although, does the cup from the Maryland pavilion at the World's Fair in
Queens with the crab cake recipe printed on it count?

> 2.  What was the first cookbook you remember cooking from?
Don't remember the name -- it was one my grandmother had received when it
she was first married. I remember it had a recipe for Lady Baltimore cake
that fascinated me.

> 3.  What was the first period cookbook/food text you ever owned?
Period or historical?

Historical: a facsimile copy of the original Boston Cooking School Cook
Book by Fanny Farmer (and, yep, it's information is wonderful. It's still
the best biscuit recipe around, and the first place I turn when I want a
basic recipe)

Period: I found and xeroxed myself a copy of A Proper Newe Book of Cookery
(15mumble).

toodles, margaret