[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 19 06:47:52 PDT 2006

On Jul 19, 2006, at 3:29 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I know... I thought I was being so cool am making period food... Sigh.
> I still like the recipe she called Valaunsie [I don't remember the
> spelling
> and am too tired to find the book and look it up], which was orange
> segments
> marinated in sugar and cinnamon, dipped in batter, fried and served
> with mustard.  I thought it tasted great.  I have a secret wish to
> find
> the original recipe that inspired this recipe and find that she
> wasn't too
> far off... I am such a dreamer...

I'm kind of assuming that the name is a play on Valencia, as in
"Valencia oranges". It's been rumored that Valencia Oranges are not
only not from Valencia, but a 20th-century variety established in the
early California orange industry (now nearly all in Florida).

It does sound good, though...

Adamantius