[Sca-cooks] mezze

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 19 20:13:28 PDT 2006

Huette wrote:
However, I have just been reading about "mezze" and one expert, Ayla Algar,
feels that there is some evidence to an ancient Persian origin for mezze.
If I were trying to substantiate that there was a older form of zakuski
before
Peter the Great, I would think that to connect mezze to Russia would be a
better
route to go. But that is just my opinion.

I guess it would depend upon exactly where in Russia the zakuska table
originated. The only reason I looked to the north was because of the
similarities between the style of smorgasbord and zakuska table (Russia
shares similar garments and embroidery patterns with Scandanavia too, so it
was evident that they shared their cultures with each other). It could very
well have come from the south, or even from Mongolia I suppose. Time to
start surfing again! Could you give me some info on mezze? I missed that
discussion I think.

Thank you!
~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.