[Sca-cooks] mezze

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:20:39 PDT 2006

The old Vikings (but not the warriors but the trademen) founded Kiev
and Novgorov, the called the people for "Rus" and they went further
down and etablished good trade routes with Constantinople, they called
it "Miklagård" and many Norwegian warriors worked as elite corps for
the emperors and later for the sultans.
Russia and Scandinavia share a common cultural heritage, the place
where St Petersburg, the old Leningrad, was constructed, was captured
by the Russian emperor Peter from the Swedes.
The Swedish empire at that time covered the whole Baltic region,
Latvia, Lithuanien and Estonia, Finland as well.
Ana

On 7/20/06, Stephanie Ross <hlaislinn at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Huette wrote:
> However, I have just been reading about "mezze" and one expert, Ayla Algar,
> feels that there is some evidence to an ancient Persian origin for mezze.
> If I were trying to substantiate that there was a older form of zakuski
> before
> Peter the Great, I would think that to connect mezze to Russia would be a
> better
> route to go. But that is just my opinion.
>
> I guess it would depend upon exactly where in Russia the zakuska table
> originated. The only reason I looked to the north was because of the
> similarities between the style of smorgasbord and zakuska table (Russia
> shares similar garments and embroidery patterns with Scandanavia too, so it
> was evident that they shared their cultures with each other). It could very
> well have come from the south, or even from Mongolia I suppose. Time to
> start surfing again! Could you give me some info on mezze? I missed that
> discussion I think.
>
> Thank you!
> ~Aislinn~
> Et si omnes ego non.
>
> "The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
> first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
> Maryland Republicans, 1809.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci