[Sca-cooks] Pakistan

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 18:42:46 PDT 2006

>Ok, speaking of different cultures' food, I have made friends recently with
>a woman from Pakistan. Pakistan was northern India during the Middle Ages
>and up to about 60 yrs. ago, right? She is amused by the fact I am very
>interested in learning about the food of her culture, and she said she will
>teach me how she makes roti (chapati) and some rice dishes very soon. Are
>there any medieval manuscripts for her area of the world I can introduce
>her to?

The Nimatnama Manuscript Of The Sultans Of Mandu Book By Norah M
Titley ISBN 041535059X.

  It's a pretty book, it has a facimaly of manuscript in B&W at the
back (reading from the back like the original), many wonderful
illuminations in color, and the translated recipes.  The recipe
section is around 100 pages, and It costs over $100, so you might
want to ILL it, like I did.

If you would like something to show her, write me off list and I will
email a few pages that I scanned.

I'm not aware of any other medieval Indian recipes in English.