[Sca-cooks] FW: [SCA-Herbalist] Cooking contest

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 24 19:03:46 PDT 2006

Ranvaig replied to my questions about an upcoming siege cooking
contest with:
=====
 >  Is it fair to the Laurels who got their award for cooking to be
 > excluded?

This is a privately sponsored competition not an SCA one, and they
can have any rules they like.  If you think there should be a
competition that allows Laurels, you could sponsor it.
======

Certainly they may. In fact, I alluded to this when I said "I can
understand some reasons behind such rules, however it does bring up
questions on such exclusions." I wasn't trying to criticize the
people who set up this contest.

However, I thought it a reasonable topic of discussion and something
for folks to keep in mind when they might be organizing their own
contests. If I were to enter this contest, either as a team member,
or much less likely, as head of my own team, this rule actually
improves my chance of winning, because it lessens those who would
likely be my roughest competitors. Then again that would also assume
that the main reason I would enter such a contest was because of the
competitiveness of it, which wouldn't be the case.

We have Laurels on this list who got their Laurels in cooking,
Laurels who got their Laurels in something else or were from places
that don't specify what the Laurel is for, and we have folks that
aren't Peers. What do *you* guys think about such restrictions. If
you are for such restrictions, what do the Laurels do after they get
their Laurel and shouldn't that apply to  other Peerages, such as the
Knights?

Crown tournaments and things like the Gulf Wars A&S competition *are*
SCA competitions.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas