[Sca-cooks] Dessert board

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 17:53:26 PDT 2006

Gunthar asked::
  <<< This weekend at our kingdom's Queen's Champion tournament,
Countess
Regina Morningstar is hosting a dessert board for the populace.
I just heard about this yesterday so I haven't really done any research
on any recipes. The desserts don't have to be period.

I'm currently thinking of doing a peach bread pudding made with coissant
and a Calvados Brandy Sauce.
I know this isn't period but I want to try it. Although I am curious
that I've
never found a period bread pudding recipe. This struck me as kind of
strange
considering the love of bread dishes and custards. Have I missed a bread
recipe someplace? >>>

Yes, you have missed some. See:
bread-pudding-msg  (7K)  3/23/05    Period bread pudding.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/bread-pudding-msg.html

<<< Any other suggestions on a nice dessert? I'd do the research but
I'm kind
of busy at work and just being lazy. >>>

Well, this is what I posted on the Ansteorra list in response to his
dessert board populace:
<<< ... For those who might like to consider making a period dessert,
but
have no idea where to start, I would suggest looking at the FOOD-
SWEETS-DECORATED foods section in the Florilegium.

There are quite a number of recipes there, often with both the period
and modernized recipes. Some are quite easy, such as the
gingerbread. Some are somewhat exotic, such as the candied
horseradish. Some can be fun for the child in all of you, such as
marzipan (adult play dough)

Stefan >>>

Stefan
--------