[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 28 19:10:35 PDT 2006

>A cleverly disguised modern dish could win as easily
>as a well researched historical dish, which trivialized winning, so I
>dropped competition for feasts and research.

I used to think that cooking couldn't win an A&S because people
would be impressed by a hand made lute or gorgeous Tudor
gown or finely crafted helm, but everyone knew how to cook.

>Don't feel like a hypocrite, in the historical context judging the worth of
>a cook by A&S competitions is nonsense.

Well, my hypocrite comment was about me not judging a fighter's
war talents over his individual prowess one on one. Rather similar
to the differences between feast cooking and A&S competitions.

  For the period cook, mastery was
>the preparation of meals to please the palate of one's patron and
>competition between cooks would be in dishes prepared for the table.  To
>master the feast requires many more skills than than the ability to prepare
>a few recipes.

Ah, but then we see folk like Mistress Clara von Ulm, Master Adamantius
with his Pilgrim's Picnic Basket and Mistress Gwynneth Blackrose prove
what a real master's touch in A&S can be and I dare anyone not to
consider them worthy of the term "Cookery Laurel".

>Bear

Gunthar