[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 30 19:58:23 PDT 2006

> I used to think that cooking couldn't win an A&S because people
> would be impressed by a hand made lute or gorgeous Tudor
> gown or finely crafted helm, but everyone knew how to cook.

This was less true when I was competing because cooking entries were often
seperated to be part of the feast and were judged then.  A general
competition was more difficult to win with a cooking entry, but it was
possible due to the limited number of people turning out top notch work.
Winning a general competition has definitely become less viable.

>  For the period cook, mastery was
>>the preparation of meals to please the palate of one's patron and
>>competition between cooks would be in dishes prepared for the table.  To
>>master the feast requires many more skills than than the ability to
>>prepare
>>a few recipes.
>
> Ah, but then we see folk like Mistress Clara von Ulm, Master Adamantius
> with his Pilgrim's Picnic Basket and Mistress Gwynneth Blackrose prove
> what a real master's touch in A&S can be and I dare anyone not to
> consider them worthy of the term "Cookery Laurel".
>
>>Bear
>
> Gunthar

It seems to me that all of these Laurels prepare feasts, which does not
invalidate my observations.

Bear