[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Jul 28 19:47:46 PDT 2006

Neither did I, really--I'd been asked by a laurel living several hours
southeast of my barony, but I was laureled exactly a year later, and we were
never able to do much with our shared bond, other then hang out together at
camping events, which we did anyway.  She still lives in the state, but no
longer participates in SCA, afaik.  In fact, I'd say at least 50% of the
laurels in my kingdom (Artemisia) were never apprenticed.  Now, in all
fairness, Artemisia's a geographically large and scattered kingdom, and if
one is working in a relatively uncommon field, there just might not be
anyone for a couple of states to help one out, but....
As an example, of the 4 active laurels currently in the state of Montana
(yup, just 4, and we all live in my barony), one was formally apprenticed
(Juliana--OL, OP), one was not apprenticed but is a squire (Gefjon--OL), one
was neither apprenticed, squired nor protoge'd (Kian--OL, OP, KSCA), and one
was sort of informally apprenticed (me, Maire--OL, OP).  So it definitely
can be done....;o)
--Maire, headed out the front door to pick dinner (fresh tomato sandwich,
anyone? mmm....)