[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 30 00:34:40 PDT 2006

Giano complained:
  <<< in  many ways,
and I have resolved to never participate in any again (I did it once,
and no, I won that one, so it's not sour grapes). >>>

Hey, verjuice is period! :-)

<<< Secondly, the feedback. I don't know how it works elsewhere, but
honestly, the feedback I got was a joke. >>>

Yep. I've entered a couple of contests principally to get some
feedback and got zilch. But I've been told that those probably were
the wrong contests to enter for that. Oh well. Maybe if I give up the
Florilegium...

<<< I entered an 'instant' mustard sauce and the
translation of a German medieval cookbook with recipe redactions. The
mustard
sauce won the competition (it took a few hours to make and required no
particular abilities). My feedback consisted of 'tasty', 'cool idea'
and 'I didn't know they had instant food then'. >>>

Oh? Interesting. This was the dried mustard balls which could be
carried on travels and then added to liquid and mixed up and used?
I'd be interested in your docs for the Florilegium or perhaps an
article on this or other instant or travel foods.

<<< In our kingdom, A&S is currently being shifted almost completely
onto a
competitive track, which has greatly discouraged many in my Shire. I
think
this policy is dangerous and hurtful to the SCA as a whole. But you
know, my opinion can't be important - I never enter competitions...

So, what would you like to see? Displays? A different type of
contest? Something else? How about just doing it at some of your
local events or even kingdom ones?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas