[Sca-cooks] straw bales at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 31 00:40:12 PDT 2006

Brangwayna commented:
<<< My understanding on the hay bale thing is that you are to buy them
from the
Coopers because that way they know which camps will have hay that needs
cleaned  up at the end of war.  Since it's a real pain to clean up, I
think that's reasonable.  >>>

I happen to agree. However, I bought a bale of straw from them for
Pennsics 27, 28 and 29. I never had them ask me which camp I was
taking the straw bale to.

Since I was flying in and therefor didn't have space for a better
bed, I sewed up a tablecloth into a bag, bought the straw bale when I
got there, broke it up and stuffed the bag with that for my mattress.
Smaller than an air mattress and no distressing "hisssssss." in the
middle of some night at Pennsic.

$5 per bale wasn't too bad for this, even if it might have been over
the going rate. I only needed one bale and that fee included the
disposal fee. I can see where they might want to regulate what types
of straw or hay bales got brought in, especially since that could
easily bring in pests or seeds they don't want.

After seeing a neighboring camp spread the straw in piles around
their campsite and then stick loosely supported tiki torches near
and in among the piles, I'm rather surprised they allow the straw at
all.  I kept wondering if I was going to have to grab a bucket or
fire extinguisher and run across the road sometime.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com