[Sca-cooks] OOP - Cooking at Alton's House

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 05:33:32 PDT 2006

King's Taste Productions wrote:
> I get called for the most curious things.
>
> This afternoon I was offered a job for next Tuesday night.  It seems
> that the house that was built for Alton Brown's "Good Eats" episodes is
> going up for sale.  The realty company that is handling it is planning a
> party to have people come and visit the house before it goes on sale,
> and they want a chef to come and do a cooking-entertaining-eating
> demonstration during the party since the place was built for a cooking
> show.  The first thing I heard was that Alton was going to do it, but
> has broken his leg on his motorcycle while filming episodes of his
> upcoming "Dining on Asphalt".  I don't know if that is all true, but I'm
> sure I'll get the details later.
>
> I have 5 days to plan, shop, practice, prep, and perform!  I have two
> and a half hours to fill.  They are providing cheese and wine.  I will
> be giving out small samples of whatever I cook, so it should be things
> in roughly 1 oz. portions.  I do not know yet if I will have access to
> equipment and materials there, but I will be purchasing and bringing in
> all of the food.
>
> I have several ideas starting to float around in my brain.  Things that
> should be considered are techniques that are 'showy' - I figure anything
> that starts with a roasted red pepper over open flame is good.  I might
> also have to use this as the excuse I haven't needed to break down and
> buy a hand-held torch and use it for mini Baked Alaskas or something.
> Flame=Good.  It should be things that are good in small portions.  I
> have no set theme or restrictions, I'll have a couple of bucks a head in
> food cost.  I could do tapas-style plates, I could start with an
> appetizer and work my way through a mini meal, I could showcase all
> medieval ingredients for that matter.
>
> So what would you cook?
>

> Should be fun, and can you say "extra money for Pennsic" ?
>
> :-)
>
> Christianna
> aka Chef Christy

Congrats on the "gig"...sounds like a lot of fun!!

How about something like Cherries Jubilee...could be served over small
portions of ice cream.  They flame beautifully in the pan.  Another
possibility, again a dessert, would be Creme Brulee, but you'd have to
find some kind of small, flame-proof containers to serve it in...not
sure how well small plastic cups would stand up to the flame.  What
about some sort of fondue?  That's something you could keep going,
people could sample in small chunks...and it looks great!  Wish you had
known about this when I was down there...I have a torch I could have
loaned you and you could have returned it at Pennsic!

Good luck!  Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Kiri