[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks.... at home when young

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 18 18:37:45 PDT 2006

We ended up with all the various Betty Crocker cookbooks
because we saved Betty Crocker points and cashed them in for
free or reduced price things. I have my mother's original Betty Crocker
Cookbook in the ring binder from 1950. It has all the family notes
and annotations. (My sister and brother got reprints.) We owned the
Cookie Cookbook
and Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls, etc. I was given
my own Betty Crocker while still in grade school. Then I quickly moved onto
and was given as a gift the first volume of Mastering the Art of French
Cookery.
I can remember doing a lot of things out of product booklets and
clipping recipes
from magazines and newspapers too. You know those things we used to do
before
Epicurious came along or the recipe database at the Food Network.

Johnnae