[Sca-cooks] Zakuskas

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 17:46:53 PDT 2006

Okay.  I concede that the Domostroi isn't as OOP as I thought it was.

But according to many books, zakuski was introduced to Russia by Peter the
Great in the 18th Century.  The Food and Cooking of Russia - Lesley Chamberlain
states this in her book.  And all that I have read about smorgasbord is that
it was introduced even later that zakuski.  Very likely 19th century.

However, I have just been reading about "mezze" and one expert, Ayla Algar,
feels that there is some evidence to an ancient Persian origin for mezze.
If I were trying to substantiate that there was a older form of zakuski before
Peter the Great, I would think that to connect mezze to Russia would be a better
route to go.  But that is just my opinion.

I understand the problems of trying to research pre-1600 practices in a culture
that didn't document its practices in writing often.  You have a hard challenge.

I have to admit that I have a knee-jerk reaction to hearing about zakuskas as
several people here in Caid have tried to introduce it, with the explanation of
"Well it is hundreds of years old.  It just had to have been done prior to 1600."
With no further research done.  In my humble opinion, they just wanted an
excuse to drink vodka...

I am sorry if I upset you.  That was not my intent.

Huette
Caid