[Sca-cooks] zakuskas

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jul 21 01:21:48 PDT 2006

>Ok Jadwiega, here is what I served at the Judge's Luncheon. ... For drinks I
>served cranberry/raspberry juice and hot tea with cherry, raspberry or
>blackberry preserves to go in it.

Did the Russians get tea from the Mongols? It wasn't in general use
in Europe until a little after 1600, as best I recall; I don't
remember if it's mentioned in Domostroi or not.

Incidentally, I haven't checked my copy, but my memory is that
although much of it is dated to the 16th century, there are parts
which are believed to be 17th c. additions.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com