[Sca-cooks] help with cheese

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 20 14:42:48 PDT 2006

Devra at aol.com wrote:
>I have a nice book called 'Book of Old Tarts' which has redacted recipes
>from historical recipes. A bit more authentic than 'Fabulous
>Feasts', I'd guess.
>
>Anyway, I'd like to try some of them, but have no idea what to use...
>What is curd cheese?
>
>Cheshire, Glouchester, or Lancashire?
>
>The final one they ask for is Boursin, which I  think I can get in the store.

You should be able to find curd cheese in the supermarket - if not,
it is nearly the same as farmer cheese. They are like cottage cheese,
fresh white curds, but without being broken up and the cream stirred
in. Because it's dry, cottage cheese isn't really a substitute,
unless you drained it first, and even then it will be a bit moister
than curd cheese.

Cheshire, Glouchester, and Lancashire are regional English cheeses.
They are aged, so hard like real cheddar, and not the rubbery orange
stuff sold in most US supermarkets. I don't recall having eaten all
three, but i know i've had at least two of them.
http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=Cheshire
http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=Gloucester
http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=lancashire

If the Boursin mentioned in the book is supposed to be an old cheese
(and i don't mean aged cheese), then i'm doubtful that it's the same
as the little spreadable herbed-and-garliced cream cheeses sold by
that name today. But that stuff is sure tasty!

http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=boursin
says:
Boursin is a modern, creamery, fresh cheese of cylindrical shape
without rind. It is made with garlic and herbs or even black pepper.
It is a soft industrial cheese with no affinage. The cheese was
founded by Monsier Boursin in 1957. It has a rich, sweet flavor with
a hint of acidity. This cheese is sold in an corrugated-foil wrapper
and it is used as a table cheese for spreading and baking. It goes
good with white wine.

[Oof! They need an editor: "It goes *well* with white wine"]

They list 654 cheeses and they have PHOTOS... oooo... photos...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

And thanks for the prompt service, Devra - i look forward most
eagerly to my books :-)