[Sca-cooks] Russian food

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 22 08:35:44 PDT 2006

Kotletki - The reason the gravy in this would have thickened up is the
breadcrumbs used to fry the meatballs in. Just like adding breadcrumbs to
sauces to thicken them. No roux necessary. This is a modern recipe however,
so don't disect it too much Stefan. (BTW, breakfast was for 50, feast for
100, to answer your previous question).

Tea - Hello Master Cariadoc, I was wondering when you would pop into the
discussion! I figured if anyone would know if they had a form of mezze in
Eastern Rome or the Arabic countries during the middle ages, it would be
you. As far as tea goes, I didn't see any references to it in the
Domostroi, but perhaps Kiri's apprentice Lord Mikail will find it. Via
Mongolia would be my guess too. The samovar is way OOP and was an intrical
part of the zakuska table. Hot tea with fruit preserves stirred into it to
sweeten it, or eaten in small tastes from the saucer as the tea is drunk is
uniquely Russian. My zakuska table was periodoid at best, but I did what
research I could with what limited resources I had. I wanted the ambiance
of the event to be Russian and not screamingly modern. We so seldom have
Slavic events in my Kingdom that we worked very hard to make this one
memorable and special. But I'm pretty certain that tea is OOP for Russian
too.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.