[Sca-cooks] Russian food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 22 22:44:11 PDT 2006

Aislinn replied to my question about the "gravy" not actually being a
roux with:

<<< Kotletki - The reason the gravy in this would have thickened up
is the
breadcrumbs used to fry the meatballs in. Just like adding
breadcrumbs to
sauces to thicken them. >>>

I had wondered about that, too. Since you are rolling the meatballs
in the breadcrumbs (or mixing them in? I can't remember), would that
really thicken the sauce? Or is the assumption that enough of the
breadcrumbs would fall off to thicken the sauce?

<<< No roux necessary. >>>

I thought gravy = roux, and vice-versa.

<<< This is a modern recipe however,
so don't disect it too much Stefan. >>>

Oops. okay I guess I'm not sure which of the recipes you used were
"period" and which were strictly modern. Still part of the question
is what I mentioned above. Is gravy always a roux? The recipe used
"gravy" while perhaps "sauce" might have been more accurate.

<<< (BTW, breakfast was for 50, feast for
100, to answer your previous question).>>>

For $20??? I don't see how you managed that. Certainly can't get much
of anything at, say McDonald's for less than a dollar. And yours was
better. Cheap event steward.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas