[Sca-cooks] ISO of Recipe for Pomagrante Sauce

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 24 18:33:13 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----

I have found many mentions of pomagrante Sauce in a few french books but can
not fine a recipe for it.. anyone have one?

  Lisabetta > > > > >

It ain't French, but I suspect it is related to Catalan influences.
Scully's Neapolitan Cuisine is my source . . . not sure how I missed putting
the original language on that page.  I put most of them with the latin AND
Scully's translation. Hmmmm. I'll scare it up if anyone wants/needs it
http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/sapore_bono_granate.html

Sapore Bono

A Good Sauce (#102)

Niccolo's Recipe
Makes 1 quart (about 16 to 20 servings)
3 cups Pomegranate syrup/molasses  (found at middle Eastern Stores)
1 to 2 cups water
1/2 cup wine
1/2 pound sugar
1/2 ounce Cinnamon, gound

Combine Pomegranate syrup, water and wine in large saucepan.  Dissolve sugar
and cinnamon over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Let simmer over medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently to
avoid scorching.
Serve with roasted meats.

NOTE:  If you can find pomegranate juice, you may substitute this for the
pomegranate syrup and water.  You will need to boil longer to reduce and
bring to serving consistency.

ORIGINAL TEXT & TRANSLATION
Scully, T. (2000).  Cuoco Napoletano - The Neapolitan Recipe
        Collection: a critical edition and English translation.
        Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.

niccolo difrancesco