[Sca-cooks] ISO of Recipe for Pomagrante Sauce

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 24 18:46:58 PDT 2006

grizly wrote:
> [...]
This one isn't French either...it's from Platina, but it is really
super...I served it over roasted pork:

/De Honesta Voluptate et Valetudine/ of Platina, trans. Mary Ellen Milham

Book VIII, 7.  /Moretum Persicinum/*//*

*/ /*/Amygdalas mundas cum excavato ac remollito pane bene tundito.
Tunsis parum gingiberis et cinnami addito, acresta deinde vino nigro,
succo mali punici dissolvito, transagitoque per setaceum excretorium in
catinum aut in patinas.  Sunt qui sandalos tunsos his rebus addant.  Hoc
edulium parum alit, diu moratur in stomacho, bilem tamen reprimit, ac
aestuanti hepatic prodest.  *  */

* Persian Relish*

* *Thoroughly crush cleaned almonds with crumbled and softened bread.
When they are crushed, add a little ginger and cinnamon, then soak in
verjuice, red wine, and juice of pomegranate, and pass through a sieve
into a bowl or serving dishes.  Some add crushed dates to this.  This
dish is of little nourishment and delays for a long time the stomach,
but it represses bile and is good for an upset liver.

My redaction:

1/2 cup whole blanched and peeled Almonds
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup verjuice
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
5 ea. dates, crushed

Blanch and peel almonds.  Grind them, and then mix in breadcrumbs and
dates, grinding after each.  Add ginger and cinnamon to mixture.  Move
to a bowl and add verjuice, red wine and pomegranate juice.  Strain and
serve.

Kiri