[Sca-cooks] Russian food/kotleti

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 23 17:28:04 PDT 2006

Malkin wrote:
was wondering ... yes I KNOW this would not be period .... but I wonder how
these would be if made with ground turkey?

Or (bringing it back to period ... ground pork?

Lamb?

Well, the recipe itself is modern, so whatever ground meat you have, I'm
sure it would be wonderful. I think what makes it so special is the grated
onion. Apparently, even in pre-Revolutionary Russia, they didn't actually
grind up their meat, but diced it very finely. The Russians felt that if
you ground the meat, you let out all the flavorful juices, so they used two
large, sharp knives to dice it finely.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.