[Sca-cooks] Partial Mughal Cookbook

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 17:56:46 PDT 2006

At 11:03 AM -0500 23/06/06, on a different list than this one, a girl
named Sue wrote:
>Here is a book I have seen for sale but have not bought yet -
>"Nuskha-e-Shahjahani : Pulaos from the Royal Kitchen of Shah Jahan"
>by Salma Husain.  Shah Jahan ruled from 1628 - 1658, so it is out
>of period slightly.  I think most copies are in India or Britain which
>means high shipping costs.  But it sounds very interesting.

I finally went and ordered it on 11 July and it was shipped on 12
July. It took less time to get here than i
thought it would to get here from India - it just arrived today.

The author says she translated it from the original Persian in which
it was written. She also says that the recipes in this book are
merely a selection from a larger book (darn, i want the whole thing
:-)

As published, every recipe is set up in two columns. There is a list
of ingredients and quantities on one side of the page, and organized
and orderly cooking instructions on the other. The author mentions
that the original recipes give measurements and are very detailed.
The quantities are given in period measurements, but the directions
seem rather modern, although perhaps it's only a few of her word
choices that make it seem modern (like "saute" and "par-boil"). So i
can't tell if these are close to the originals or merely "inspired
by" her translation of them.

Sigh. So hard to tell... I guess i'll assume that they are accurate
and it is just the author's choice of some modern feeling words here
and there that is giving me doubts.

The recipes do look tasty. And even if the author modernized them a
little, they're still closer to period recipes than a modern Mughal
or Persian cookbook.

I just wish i had ALL the recipes from the old cookbook!
---
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita