[Sca-cooks] Potrero seige contest

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 22:43:52 PDT 2006

On 6/1/06 8:11 PM, "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Selene commented:
> <<< It would have worked, I know that for a fact.  Remember the cinnamon
> rolls that brought in big bucks at the arts auction?  I made those on
> site, with yeast from a jar.  Did up a sponge the afternoon before, kept
> in in the kitchen pavilion near the range so it got intermittent heat at
> least, covered with a black plastic trash bag to soak up the sun's rays
> during the day.  Made a slack dough in the morning, let them rise and
> baked just before auction time.>>>
>
> What's a "slack dough"?

Soft, not stiff.  Good for sweet breads and cinnamon rolls.

> How much was "big bucks"? It sounds like they
> went over well.

About $20 for the six-pack, still warm.  Still a better deal than $tarbuck$.

> How did you bake them? In a dutch oven? If so, then
> this might be an idea for those talking about dutch oven recipes in
> another thread.

Indeed.  Actually they were baked in the household's motor home but it could
have been done just as easily in a dutch oven.

> <<< The moral of the story is:  Always Dare!  The worst that could have
> happened is not much different from what you had already.>>>
>
> Yes, but in a competition sometimes daring can cause you to lose the
> competition depending upon the rules of that particular contest. As a
> minimum, effort and time spent working on a failing project might
> keep another dish from getting made. So, I can see where some teams
> might choose not to attempt to bake something.

Well, maybe so and maybe no.  I am willing to take the occasional risk in
order to present a really impressive item.  If a dish fails, then it fails
and I won't put it out at all.  Better one dish short than one dish bad.  My
philosophy, your mileage may vary, etc.

Cheers,
Selene