[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian Indian Protein

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 10:46:21 PDT 2006

>What can I use for some sort of protein for India?  I would think
>dal or some other bean thing, but they are getting bean dip two
>other days.

India is THE place for vegetarian meals.  I'd suggest Koftas
"meatballs" of vegetables and chickpea flour.   I'm giving the recipe
straight from the book, but you could use more besan or some cashews
to  make it more of a protein.  It uses your garam masala too.

Usually fried but you could bake them too, I think. You could serve
the sauce on the side and let kids dip into it or skip the sauce and
serve the kofta with your coconut chutney.

I usually skip the crumb coating, and add the cilantro after baking
so it stays green.  Or skip it, some people dont like cilantro.
Maybe just put a little on each place, so they can taste it.

You can switch the vegetables around too, but avoid mashing peas and
carrots together.. they taste fine but look gross. (Guess how I know)
You'll want to test cook and adjust the seasoning for your kids too.
I think I have to make this for dinner tonight.  :)

Some other ideas would be a raita of yougurt and vegetables or a
legume based bread might be good with your chutney.

The net has LOTS of Indian recipes. Here are few other kofta recipes
that I havent tried
http://www.recipezaar.com/94468
http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/savouries6.htm
http://www.indianfoodforever.com/vegetables/malai-kofta.html

Ranvaig

Sabzi Kofta Kalia  From The Art of Indian Cruisine by Pranati Sen Gupta
1 lb peas, cooked and mashed (frozen are fine)
2 large potatoes, cooked and mashed
2 1/2 T besan (chickpea flour)
2 1/2 T chopped coriander leaves
1 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
1/4 tsp each tumeric, crushed dried red pepper, garam masala, and salt
pinch of whole cumin
pinch of sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/4 c oil
Mix the spices and besan together, then stir them into the mashed vegies.
Form into one inch balls.
Dip into the beaten eggs then roll in bread crumbs.
Fry in hot oil until brown, remove and drain.
Kalia Sauce:
1/4 c ghee or butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
pinch cumin seed
2 cardamoms crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1/2 inch of grated fresh ginger
1 large tomato
1 1/4 tsp each gnd coriander and cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric, cayenne, garam masalla
1 1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
Heat ghee, fry onions, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger for 2-3 mins.
Add tomatoes and ground spices, stir to blend,
Remove from heat and add coconut milk, return to heat and cook 5 mins.
Put the koftas in a shallow baking dish, pour the sauce over them,
sprinkle with cilantro and cover
Bake for 15-20 mins until the gravy is thick, dont stir after adding
the koftas, just shake the pan a little to keep them from sticking.
Serve with chapattis. Serves 6 to 8.