[Sca-cooks] Cast Iron pots??

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 01:08:50 PDT 2006

Adamantius mentioned:

<<< I think I vaguely remember something about a process of recasting
such beasts by making a two-piece mold out of something like clay,
then going in and "removing" the crack from the mold, and either
(this is where I'm fuzzy on the process) leaving the iron object in
place and pouring in more iron, or melting it all together and
pouring it in to the crackless mold.

I seem to recall this was done with cracked bells and cannons (the
Liberty Bell comes to mind).>>>

Well, they did repair or redo the Liberty Bell. It then cracked
again, later. However, I believe the Liberty Bell, and I imagine most
bells, is cast of brass, not iron. I think iron would have a horrible
tonal quality compared to brass.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas